Friday, January 16, 2015

Saturday Snapshots


West Metro Mommy Reads

Saturday Snapshots is hosted by West Metro Mommy

December 2014 - Las Vegas NV

I had posted photos from the JFK exhibit earlier. I mentioned that I was disappointed in the sparse amount of items on display and the unreasonable entrance fee.

I saved these First Ladies gowns for a separate post.

Worn by Jackie Kennedy
I found this article written by Brown Paper Packages Tied Up With Strings that agrees with what I thought of this dress, not one of Jackie's finest. It was worn at the inaugural.


Hilary Clinton


Martha Washington


Eleanor Roosevelt


Alice Lee Roosevelt Longworth
I had to google her and found some interesting data at Wikipedia.

(February 12, 1884 – February 20, 1980) was an American writer and prominent socialite. She was the oldest child of U.S. President Theodore "T.R." Roosevelt, Jr. (1858–1919). She was the only child of Roosevelt and his first wife, Alice Hathaway Lee (1861–84).

Alice led an unconventional and controversial life. Her marriage to Representative Nicholas Longworth III (Republican-Ohio), a party leader and 43rd Speaker of the U.S. House of Representatives, was shaky, and her only child Paulina was a result of her affair with Senator William Edgar Borah of Idaho. She temporarily became a Democrat during the Kennedy and Johnson administrations, and said in a 60 Minutes interview with Eric Sevareid, televised on February 17, 1974, that she was a "hedonist".

Edith White Bolling Galt Wilson another interesting second wife.






6 comments:

  1. I'm quite familiar with Alice Roosevelt, having recently gone through the documentary series on the Roosevelt family. Elizabeth Keckley is another figure I'm very familiar with from Civil War history.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always enjoy photos of Jackie...and the others were fascinating, too. Thanks for sharing.

    Here's my SATURDAY SNAPSHOT POST

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a delightful exhibit! It's fun to see how high fashion has changed over the years, isn't it? Thanks for sharing this display. I'd love to see it.
    Sandy @ TEXAS TWANG.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WHat great pictures! I agree with you about Jackie's dress...it sort of looks like a flour sack on the mannequin. I'm sure it looked better on her....

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful collection of dresses. My favourite is the Eleanor Roosevelt one with the birds swooping all over it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I find the dresses fascinating, but they're really let down by the way they're displayed. That first dress of Jackie's does seem one of her few fashion misses. At least the coat looks like a billowing sail, perhaps the dress underneath was better?

    ReplyDelete

This blog does not allow anonymous comments.